Wellington C. Mepham High School
The school, now known as Wellington C. Mepham High School, began in 1935 as a small, wooden, six-room building on Bedford Avenue in Bellmore. At that time, there were 150 students, six teachers and principal Sanford H. Calhoun. The school was established to serve students in Merrick, North Merrick, Bellmore and North Bellmore. The only subjects taught that year were English, Latin, elementary algebra, general science, civics and economic citizenship.
On Sept. 8, 1937, Mepham High School opened in its current location on Camp Avenue in North Bellmore and served 741 enrolled students. At that time, the school adopted the pirate theme and the first issue of The Buccaneer was published.
Today, Mepham serves approximately 1,300 students in grades 9 through 12.
The Alumni Association
Although groups of alumni had been active since the school’s inception, in 1979 the W.C. Mepham High School Alumni Association became a viable organization. The foundation was laid through the efforts of Richard Wilgenkamp (’58), Eileen McNulty (’57), Ruth Menchen Bromberg (’59), and Harry Betzig (’39), officers during the first year.
The purpose of the organization was to “promote social interaction among all Alumni, and to assist the school and current student body wherever and whenever possible.
The Mepham Alumni Association continues to be supported by the school’s administration and the Board of Education.
The Who’s Who program was originally instituted by the Bellmore-Merrick Central High School Board of Education in 1964. In 1987 the Mepham Alumni Association reestablished this program, which recognizes and honors Mepham alumni who have made significant accomplishments in their fields of work, outstanding contributions to mankind, and service to their communities. A plaque is located in the Mepham High School foyer listing the Who’s Who honorees and their fields of work.
In 1998, the Alumni Association established the Meritorious Service Award, to recognize service of individuals to the Alumni Association and/or the school. A plaque located in the Mepham High School foyer lists the honorees.